Sunday, 6 December 2015

Who has been your main support since having Inflammatory Bowel Disease?

I usually ramble on in my blogs so I have set myself a challenge – 200 words max per blog for Crohn’s and Colitis awareness week! 

It’s difficult to explain what it’s like living with Inflammatory Bowel Disease on a daily basis and it’s not something that anyone should have to go through alone. Here’s your chance to give thanks to those that have stood by your side, looked after you when you’re sick, given words of comfort when you’ve needed them, understood your limitations when you can’t function like the other people in their life, listened when you needed to talk (even if they don’t fully understand) and that love you without question exactly AS YOU ARE.

My favourite thing that people can do is ask if they don’t understand, or even get on Google and look it up.

I’m not much of a talker. It’s not new news. I feel like if I want someone to understand the disease then I have to tell them my story but it’s not a place I like to revisit, and looking back, I see a much weaker version of me that I don’t want to look at. When I go back there in my head I feel like some of that weakness creeps back in.

I don’t like being looked after, I don’t like hospital visitors, I don’t like to be a drain on anyone else whether that’s physical or emotional support. I’m much more comfortable alone when I’m sick.

However, a special thanks must go to my mum who not only attempts to help when I’m poorly (only ever accepted when I’m recovering from surgery but still, the offer’s there) but is also a massive advocate for #GetYourBellyOut. She tells everyone who’ll listen and is always trying to sell the merchandise – yes she really is one of THOSE annoying gits!


And I love her for it. That, and I have no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment